Commercial Club - a history of community service
(Taken from New London Buyers' Guide/Hortonville Centennial, August 16, 1994. Posted with permission from the Press-Star, New London/Hortonville, Wisconsin.)
Proceeds from the summer Hortonville Homecoming each year support community projects sponsored by the Commercial club.
The first homecoming were held on Main St. after the club organized in 1929.
Ten years later club members purchased park land known as the "Fair Ground" from the Outagamie County Agriculture Society. The first Homecoming on park land paid off the $1,600 mortgage.
World War II shortages suspended homecomings for two years. Except for those years, the celebration has always been the third weekend in June.
The Commercial Club was incorporated on April 17, 1929. Otto A. Reinke, Joseph P. Platten, Fred N. Torrey, Vincent M. Freiburger and Enoch C. Otis signed the original Article of Organization.
Reinke was the first club president with Walter L. Schroder, vice president; Leonard R. Schwartz, secretary.
From the Start, Commercial Club Projects were a success.
"The Womanless Wedding", the first club entertainment in November 1929, played twice to sell out crowds in the Community Hall.
In 1936, the club sponsored Maynard Servis in a Highway 26 club wheelbarrow race. Servis won the race by pushing a wheelbarrow from Waupun to Antigo.